The only loaded potato soup recipe you’ll ever make again!
*As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.*
It’s slowly becoming my favorite time of the year!
I love that cool, crisp air outside and all of the excitement that comes with fall and the upcoming holidays.
One of my favorite things to eat when it’s cold outside is soup. Nothing is better than a warm bowl of soup this time of year. It makes me feel all warm and cozy.
This loaded potato soup recipe is one of my absolute favorites! Just add a cheesy Hallmark movie and a crackling fire, and I’m happy!
This recipe is so simple and can be made in under 30 minutes! No chopping required for this loaded potato soup recipe and only a few dishes to clean!
That’s my kinda meal!
How to make it
Add the chicken broth and potatoes to a dutch oven or any large pot and bring them to a boil over high heat.
Then, you’ll reduce the heat to medium and stir in the cream of chicken soup, cheddar cheese, onion powder, and salt & pepper.
Cook this for 15 minutes being sure to stir every few minutes.
When the 15 minutes is up add the cream cheese & sour cream. Stir until it’s melted and all mixed together.
Give it a taste to make sure you have added enough salt and pepper. Add more if needed.
Spoon the soup into your favorite soup bowls and top each serving with cheese, sour cream, bacon, &/or chives.
Make sure the cream cheese is softened or sitting out at room temp before adding it in. This will keep you from having little lumps of cream cheese in your soup.
I like to remove the few little pieces of chicken from the cream of chicken soup that I find as I’m stirring but it’s not necessary.
- 4 cups (32 oz.) of chicken broth
- 1 (32 oz.) bag of frozen southern style (diced) potatoes
- 1 (10 oz.) can of cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese (plus more for topping)
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 4 oz. of cream cheese (room temp. or softened)
- ½ cup of sour cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Bacon for topping
- Chives or green onion for topping
1. In a dutch oven or a large pot add chicken broth and potatoes & bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in the cream of chicken soup & cheddar cheese.
3. Add onion powder, salt, and pepper.
4. Cook for 15 minutes. Stir every few minutes.
5. Add cream cheese & sour cream. Stir until it’s all mixed together.
6. Serve. Top each serving with cheese, sour cream, bacon, &/or chives.