Create this beautiful farmhouse window treatment for your windows with these simple and easy decorative curtains!
*As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases*
We finally redid our breakfast area, and I’m in love with how it turned out!
One of my favorite things about the area is how we did the curtains.
I wanted a rustic vibe and something different than the traditional curtain rod, so we decided to go with this simple farmhouse window treatment to get the look we wanted.
The best part was that it was cheaper than buying curtain rods from a store!
Here’s what the area looked like before we started.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1×4 piece of pressure-treated wood (enough for each window)
- Nail Gun & Nails
- Miter Saw or Circular Saw
- Stain (we used the color Espresso)
- Cloth for staining
- Hooks (two per window)
- Tape Measure
- Curtain hooks (bronze)
I loved the idea of using barn wood, too, but it didn’t go with the rest of our space. If you choose this option, you won’t need the 1×4, sander, or stain.
1. Measure the length of the window, including the amount of overhang you want on each side. We added a 3-inch overhang on both sides of each window.
2. Using your saw, cut the wood to the length(s) you want. Hold it in place above the window to make sure you like how it looks before going any further. Trim if needed.
3. Lightly sand the wood and wipe away the dust.
4. Use the cheesecloth to stain the wood and allow it to dry. Do another coat if you want a darker look. Let it dry.
5. Nail the wood in place over the window.
6. Decide where you want your hooks placed and secure them to the wood. Make sure they are evenly spaced on each side.
7. Hang your curtains and enjoy the new look!
See the finished area!